UIL extends athletic, academic shutdown until at least May 4

By: 
Ron Howell
Sports Editor

Thanks to the outbreak of COVID-19 (coronavirus) in the state, the wait for Nolan County high school athletes to return to UIL-sanctioned competition has gotten a lot longer.
According to a press release issued Thursday by the University Interscholastic League, all athletic and academic competition for high schools in Texas will resume no sooner than May 4.
The newest UIL date was announced less than a week after it decided this past Friday to suspend all activities between March 16 and March 29, which was amended earlier this week to include practices and rehearsals as well.
In Thursday’s press release, the UIL also announced on its website that prior to May 4, it will allow its member schools a “reasonable acclimatization period for rehearsals and practices to occur.” In addition, it said that “All decisions remain flexible and will be consistent with the advice of local, state and federal officials.”
Dr. Charles Breithaupt, who is the UIL’s executive director, said “We are working diligently on contingency plans to conduct state championships in each of the activities that have been suspended. While the immediate future is unclear, we are committed to providing these much-desired activities to all Texas students and will prepare for all possible outcomes, including extended school closures.”
The UIL said it will continue to provide “timely, ongoing updates and is reassessing this ever-changing situation daily.” It also said persons should continue to check its website and social media accounts for further updates.
In addition to academic and music competitions, the spring sports schedule in Nolan County has been suspended for baseball, golf, powerlifting, soccer, softball, tennis and track with quite a few of the start dates for playoffs, regional and state competitions already pushed back.
Gov. Greg Abbott also issued on Thursday an executive order limiting public gatherings to 10 people, shutting schools, prohibiting visitors to nursing homes and retirement communities and limiting bars and restaurants to take-out through April 3 in an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19.

See more in our print or online edition!

Category: