Local woman and her dog die in house fire

March 5, 2013

Sweetwater resident Neva Cole and her dog died in a house fire on Bristol Street on Monday afternoon. (Photo by Tatiana Rodriguez)

A Sweetwater woman and her dog perished in a fire on the 1900 block of Bristol Street on Monday afternoon, according to Sweetwater Fire Chief Grant Madden.
According to Madden, the Sweetwater Fire Department received the initial call about the fire just after 3:30 p.m. on Monday.
Neva Cole, 61, was found inside the home when firefighters arrived at the scene. Evan Goodman and Nick Shaw with the Sweetwater Fire Department, "immediately went inside the home and pulled her out and very quickly started working on her," said Madden. "They went in as soon as they arrived with no hose and got her out, but she was already deceased when they began working on her," he stated.
According to Madden, the fire began in a bedroom as was electrical in nature. Cole's dog, a chihuahua, was also found deceased in the home.
According to Cole's daughter, Donett Wallace, who lived next door to her mother, Cole lived alone in the home.
"She was a wonderful person, always loving and willing to give the shirt off her back to anyone in need. She was a real 60s child with a hippie heart," said Wallace.
Cole was a Sweetwater Jaycee Rooster and is also survived by two sons, Gary Joe Cole, Jr. and Donnie Dale Cash, Jr. Her parents preceded her in death.
Cole's body was sent off for an autopsy. Funeral arrangements are under the direction of Cate-Spencer & Trent Funeral Home. Her body will be cremated and a memorial service will be held at a later date.

A pair of Sweetwater High School football players are on the All-Big Country preseason Super Team...
Sweetwater High School’s varsity volleyball team won three of its six matches over the weekend at...
Former Sweetwater High School athlete Joe Banyard rushed four times for 15 yards to help the...


Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes